Monday, February 21, 2011

Bazaars and the Hagia Sophia

Pushing strollers throughout the steep cobblestone streets of Istanbul wasn't the smoothest way to travel but then you see this and forget how you even got there.
The Hagia Sophia a former Orthodox church, later a mosque and now a museum located directly across from the Blue Mosque in my last post.  The Blue Mosque was commissioned by the Sultan Ahmet to compete with amazing beauty of the Hagia Sophia.

Inside was just as stunning.

The most extraordinary tiny mosaics I have ever seen covered the walls, most with gold backgrounds.  Here are some of the most famous ones, you aren't allowed to use a flash because the light damages the color in the tiles.
 Empress Zoe

 Lost tiles after several earthquakes.
Harlow was running and twirling around the place.
 St Gregory's Miracle column, or also known as the sweating column.  Legend has it if you place your finger inside, make a wish and it comes out wet your wish will come true.  My finger was wet :)


Awwww now on to where we spent 90 percent of our time in Istanbul, THE BAZAARS!!!
The Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar were my favorite part obviously because I love to shop but also it was like searching for treasure in these massive markets.

 
 I did purchase a little boho bag like these.

So, so, I repeat so much jewelry it made my head spin.  I was like a small child with ADD after days of searching and haggling I finally purchased a gorgeous amber ring and pair of silver earrings.  I wish I had more money and more time.  I would take a picture of them but we've managed to break the camera and my iphone, when I say we, I mean Harlow and Jason :)
Scarves galore, I bought several for Jason, and our moms.
Spices and teas, check out the Love tea made of tiny roses.
The Entrance to the Spice Bazaar
Istanbul was so charming and the energy was so vibrant I really enjoyed my time there.  Here are a couple random photos of the city.
Ice cream man look on the end of his pole, his show was awesome so we had to buy the ice cream but ah, it didn't taste so good.
LOVED this house, can you see the laundry hanging perfectly on the second story balcony?
Ducks!!!
Harlow after a cat attacked her in a carpet shop.
Speaking of cats, there a millions of cats in Istanbul, cats EVERYWHERE!
Cat attacking Harlow
So pretty
How many cats can you find in this picture? ps that yellow building is The Four Seasons
sleeping beauty
ok, ok OK no more pictures of cats!




So much shopping, culture and art I was sad to go home, but Harlow missed her Daddy.

Home

xoxoxo

1 comment: