Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hanging around in Ruins

Our second location in Turkey was so different from the first but equally cool.  We flew to Pamukkale which translates to "Cotton Castle" it's a natural site in Western Turkey of hot springs and travertines (limestone deposited by the minerals in the natural springs.)

It basically looked like a giant mountain on snow, except it was limestone and there were magnificent pools of hot water flowing everywhere.
Harlow and I warming our toes in the springs.
 If that didn't make it awesome enough the ancient city of Hierapolis was built on top of the "white castle" so there were miles of Greek ruins you could explore.  We were literally climbing around on these structures from the 2nd century, it was very surreal.  I just kept running my fingers across them in complete awe.  For some reason most of the photos I took of them are corrupted.



 
Miles and miles of a forgotten city, I could have spent a year exploring it.  Check out the pattern on this one stone I found.
It's pretty incredible that their craftsmanship can stand the test of time.
Harlow is walking along what looks like a pathway created for carrying the hot springs water through the city, pretty crazy!!




Harlow onset working the Boom!  Her face cracks me up in this picture.

I love these pictures of Jason and Harlow the steam coming off the pools make them look fantastic.

This was a thermal pool that people were wading in right over real ancient Greek columns!!!

Such a magical place, where nature and history meet.

Here's a clip of Harlow walking through the water.

and my favorite, her little bitty toes in the water.

This was such an amazing place to experience and we probably never, ever would have traveled there on our own so I'm so thankful for where this film has taken us.

I only wish I had discovered treasure there like someone I know that looked down and found a coin from something like 400 BC, lucky guy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment