Monday, December 6, 2010

Caru Cu Bere

I haven't had a moment to sit down and write the past couple of days.  Jason is still doing night shoots and slowly Harlow and I have changed over to his schedule so we can spend more time together but it hasn't left much time for anything else.

Last night he finally had a day off so we went out to dinner at Caru Cu Bere one of the oldest beerhouses in Romania and it was awesome!!  I was desperate to take photos when we were inside but all I had was my iphone and it was dimly lit so they weren't turning out.  When I goggled images on the web a bunch of pictures of Nic Cage at the restaurant came up, funny.  Anyways this is the place to eat, just look at the inside.
This photo doesn't do it justice the architecture in the ceiling was all arches and big oil paintings.  It was like having dinner in a museum.

Caru cu Bere is located in Lipscani the old town of Bucharest
The food was delicious!!!  We started off with a salad that consisted of red beets and shredded raw horseradish AMAZING!!  I will so be making this when I return home.  Simple ingredients but something about the spicy and the pickled beets just made for an excellent combination.  For an entree I had yellow squash stuffed and baked with minced meat, rice, and dill served with a tomato sour cream sauce.  I ate every single bite, it reminded me a lot of a greek dish  as I think there's a lot of Turkey's influence in the some of the recipes here.  

Being in Europe I've order beer or wine with all of my dinners but for some reason I thought I'd be cool, relax and order something a little harder.  I asked for a whiskey and coke forgetting where I was momentarily only to have them bring a glass bottle of coke to the table and a shot of whiskey, ya they don't do ice here.  Needless to say it makes for a very interesting cocktail without ice.  Way too reminiscent of high school.

As we were finishing up dinner the music started blaring and a full on dance number took place right in  the middle of the restaurant. Harlow thought it was the greatest thing of all time, she even got to dance with one of the ladies after the show.  Here's two quick clips of the dancers.




The food was great the scenery was unreal and the entertainment made for a really fun night!  Exactly what we needed.

2 more weeks till our holiday and I can't wait.  

Love to everyone


No comments:

Post a Comment