Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Old Town Lipscani

There's a price to pay for enjoying life on the other side of the globe. This week I completely missed Halloween, it was late in the evening that I realized heeey it was Halloween today.  Well at least I was able to throw Harlow in her cute little ladybug costume (thanks Mama Sharon)  while we were still back home for the Burbank Boo Bash. 

But now the Giants have won, freaking WON the world series and I missed that too.  Winning the world series isn't something I can repeat next year, but perhaps I can watch the games when I get back home and pretend not to know the outcome?  Ya right Michelle, never going to happen.

So Halloween night we did manage to hop in a taxi and head over to old town Lipscani.  Just listening to Jason try to pronounce Lipscani to the cab driver was worth the whole night, good job babe :)  We probably didn't need to take a taxi since it was 5 minutes away but oh the adventures when you go for a quick ride on the streets here, hold on to your hats or in our case hold on to your baby. 


Old town was lovely and packed full of hipsters out enjoying all the clubs, pubs and restaurants.
Check out the video below for a quick review of the history.  There's a portion of the video that talks about how the city wasn't sure if they should preserve or destroy the ruins within the city.  Today they decided to preserve the ruins, in the video you can see the underground arches, they've since lit them and enclosed them with thick glass so you can look down and view them from the street.  I'll try to get a photo next time we're there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUS4Bavq8co&feature=player_embedded

All the streets were cobblestone and with uber hip restaurants and hotels that have been turned into clubs.  The music was pumping and there were people everywhere.  We settled for dinner outside the pub Bordello which was built in 1714.

We ate tappas and drank the local beer Ciuc which taste pretty much like a Stella lager.  Inside the building there was the most amazing wood spiral staircase. I tried to take a picture but it doesn't even capture an ounce of how beautiful and haunting it was. I guess I should have taken it when I was at the bottom of the stairs, but then someone would have saw me, and like I said totally undercover tourist here.  Sooo use your imagination :)

We spent dinner falling in love, madly in love, even Harlow was swept off her feet by this handsome fellow.   He was one of the MANY, I'm talking hundreds of strays I've seen since we've been here.  they just lay on the streets and sleep.  The locals feed them, there are even places that collect scraps for the dogs.  Every dog I've encountered has been the sweetest most gentle creature.  We were talking and decided that if Ceasar Chavez was here he'd say the city and it's people must have calming energy that rubs off on the dogs.


 Take a look at that face, such a sweet boy.  I'm gonna find this guy again and I swear I'm bringing him home with me!

Love to all my family and friends or whoever you are reading this, let me know you're out there.

xoxo

1 comment: