Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Red Faced in the City

Harlow and I ate our usual breakfast downstairs in the hotel, all the male servers there are absolutely in love with her.  I say male because there are only two females and she screams whenever they try to talk to her, apparently she's partial to men.  We have a routine where we walk in I start making the plates, a server grabs her highchair and then another guy lifts her into the chair and then another one usually hands her a muffin.  It's so cute to see all these romanian men treating her like a little princess.

She's one happy customer!

Check out that ridiculously good chocolate filled croissant, I've been trying not to eat one everyday but completely losing that battle.  

The breakfast spread has been the same since day one 3 weeks ago, wow I've been here for 3 weeks already.  Bread, cheese, tomatoes and all kinds of crazy meat stuff.

Now when it comes to food I'm notorious for copying people.  Yep I'm the lady that looks in other peoples shopping carts, their dinner plates in restaurants, and in the store when I  can't make a decision I always chose whatever has been sold the most on the shelves.  I admit it, food copier that's me.  I guess I just figure if everybody else is doing it, it's probably good.  So at breakfast every morning there's a giant pot of boiled hot dogs and most people put about two or three of them on their plate.  Each morning I usually cringe and run pass the pot trying to imagine a spread full of pancakes and french toast instead of bread and cheese.  Well I did it, this morning I freaking ate a hot dog before 9am and it wasn't half bad.

We spent almost the entire day inside working on our potty business, which we were 5 to 1 (five pees in the potty and one poop on the floor, sorry graphic)  when I realized we didn't have any food in the house.  So we suited up and headed out.

Across the street from our apartment is this tiny church that I've seen conducting weddings at 9:00 at night.  A server downstairs told me people save their money for years to get married there, I guess it's where the cool kids get hitched.
Since Harlow's tantrums have been on the up I've been trying to keep her busy asking her to help Mama and keep her occupied, well she took it to a whole new level today


Harlow carrying our grocery bag.  Here you have to bring your own or pay for one, and I learned the hard way when a lady rung me up and then started ringing up the next person and I asked for a bag and she sorry too late, I had to kick Harlow out the stroller and make her walk so we could carry the food home.

Nic's is where we do our shopping, it's small but close to our place.  They don't have any big markets in the city.

Once you walk into any building in this country it's blazing hot inside, everybody has the heater on over 80, which sucks when you've layered for the cold weather.  Inside the grocery store they have lockers for you your jackets.   Here's Harlow grabbing a basket, I told you she took helping out to another level tonight.  I didn't dare try to take it from her.  But every person in the store was starring at her as she drug it through the place.
It pretty much doesn't get any cuter then this, Harlow is her own woman at 19 months, this kid kills me.


After we paid and I had to take the basket away was when things got super fun.

I have to say it's extremely difficult to be a first time mother of blooming toddler alone without a break in a big city, an old city where buildings have stairs instead of elevators and busy people zooming by that don't have time for your child's antics.  Some streets aren't well lit and cars drive right up on the sidewalk, in fact people just make up their own road rules here, they make one lane streets into two lanes etc.  Needless to say when Harlow starts throwing a fit in the middle of the city streets I start to panic a bit.  Tonight when I was trying to put her in the stroller she did the whole scream arch your back scenario and I had an arm full of groceries and massive winter coat on.  Trying to control her as people walking by started to stare and speak in romanian I could feel my temperature rising, my heart beat up into my chest and my face was blazing red.  A pregnant woman actually stopped and tried to help me but Harlow was screaming so loud I could barely hear her. I kept apologizing and telling her don't worry they don't get like this till way later.  What Michelle!?  Out of all things to say?

Suddenly a stray dog ran out in front of us and I grabbed a bag of pretzels and handed them to Harlow "feed him, he' so hungry Harlow"  Ahhhhh it worked, thank you god!

I swear everyday I'm here something happens to totally and utterly embarrass me.  I guess this trip is a self-deprecating one.  Well I'm thankful for the experience and it's making me one strong Mama!

Love to all follow us along on this journey, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment