Monday, November 29, 2010

Homemade Thanksgiving in Romania

Jason came home Thanksgiving afternoon so I took the last four days off to enjoy some family time and work on planning our two week holiday in December.  When he arrived he had just survived a grueling 7 hour drive and had been awake for over 24 hours, poor guy.  After a good long nap I convinced him to help Harlow and I try to find ingredients for a Thanksgiving feast.  Our apartment only has an electric stove for boiling water, no oven, no mixing bowls, no sharp knives, none of the kitchen luxuries one would use to prepare any normal dinner.  So I wasn't expecting any miracles.

Obviously Romania doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving as it's not apart of their history so I had no chance of finding a cooked Turkey anywhere.  We settled for a rotisserie chicken from the butcher, it was moist and mixed with mashed potatoes who could tell the difference.  I bought a bunch of potatoes since I knew we could boil water.  I found a can of green beans and some bacon so I could boil them together like Grandma used to.  Couldn't translate anything that even looked like it could be gravy so I gave up on that.  Found some chicken stock cubes, bought two bags of dried bread loaves, a stalk of celery, a white onion and to make stuffing homemade stuffing.  I found fresh sweet potatoes and used butter and little packets of sugar from our coffee to make yams.  I also bought a bunch of different apples, whipped cream and mayo for a waldorf salad but without the cherries and marshmellows it just didn't taste the same.

Jason found some beautiful Gerber daisies at a flower stand down the street that I put in one of Harlow's bottles for a center piece.   The woman that sold them to him wrapped each flower individually with wire  and then the whole thing with twine all for 10 bucks!  Also I traced Harlow and I's hands to make a
turkey for the table.



Overall it felt like camping trying to cook but it was actually was pretty fun and turned out ok.


We also had a guest but because this is a public blog, I won't post those pictures to protect their privacy as they work in the public eye. Who knows what other newspapers are reading in Romania.

It will be a very memorable holiday for years to come, we were all very thankful and were able to have a little piece of home in that awesome stuffing I made :)

Jason and I will always and forever be most thankful for this little piece of heaven


I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday too!!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you are making the most of this adventure!!! Just think of all the Thanksgivings you've had that you probably can't even remember any details of...guaranteed you will remember this one forever.
    Love you and sooooooo thankful that you and the rest of the Hamers are happy and healthy.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Buddy I miss you, thank you for that comment it's so true!

    ReplyDelete